Theme of the lesson: « All about mass media»
Learning objectives(s) that this lesson is contributing to:
To develop students' creative abilities, love and interest in reading, speaking,
listening and writing about mass media around Kazakhstan and abroad, to
develop students’ skill to compare, analyze the text, to promote the
development of communicative qualities, the ability to work in groups
Good afternoon dear guests, students and teachers. Today we’ll spend some
unusual evening. It’ll be the battle between two teams. The team of 9«а» and 9
«b» forms. So, before beginning of our competition let me introduce you our jury.
(төреші: Танабергенова Д, Кайсар А. Тогаева Д).
As you guessed the topic of our today’s battle is….(what?) Yes, you are right. It calls Mass
Media. So, let’s begin our competition then. And the first task will be the next. It will be a game
1) “Do you understand me?” You have got the words on the topic “mass media”. Your task is
to give the definition of these words so that the other group could guess the words. You may use
synonyms antonyms but you mustn’t use the derivative words. (раздать слова на листках).
1) weather forecast ( It’s a TV or a radio programme about the temperature, sun, rain and wind
for today or tomorrow).
2) Internet (It’s a set of infn which can be used with the help of a computer).
3) Soap opera (It’s a serial about relationships between people especially about love usually
with a happy end).
4) Talk show ( It’s a TV programme where people discuss different problems expressing their
5) Quiz (It’s a set of questions on different subjects to be asked)
6) an Advert (It’s a short film or a short article which gives us information about an object and
makes us buy it).
7) Reporter (a person who supplies news to a newspaper, for radio or TV).
8) Book (number of sheets of paper, either printed or blank fastened together in a cover).
9) Newspaper (It’s a serial publication containing news, other informative articles and usually
10) Journalist ( a person who writes news, stories or articles for a newspaper or magazine or
broadcasts them on radio or TV
11) photographer ( a person who takes photographs, either as a job or hobby).
12) Radio (waves which carry information through the sound. You can hear different adverts,
news, songs and many interesting).
13) TV set (a device that combines a tuner, display and loud speakers for broadcasting different
14) Tabloid (a newspaper with sensational and crime stories, astrology and celebrity gossip. It’s
smaller than broadsheet).
15) Broadsheet (a newspaper of a bigger format, which has long, detailed political and
economical news, business or cultural news).
16) It’s a program which gives facts and information about a particular subject adocumentary
Thank you teams. I see that all of you coped with the task. Very good. We continue.
And the next task will be 2) Abbreviations. Now look at the screen again. There are some
abbreviations. Look though them and give me full answer.(показать презентацию «аббрев.») 2 Guess “Abbreviation” What do these abbreviations stand for?
ITV – Independent Television
1. BBC – British Broadcasting Corporation
3. NTV (HTB) – Независимое телевидение
4. RTR (РТР) – Российское телерадио
5. MTV – Music Television
6. ABCAmerican Broadcasting Channel
8. CTC (KТК)Commercial television channel
Now we continue our battle. Teams, I gave you
ITC ( НТК) Independent Television Channel
3)the News . You should prepare some infn about different kind of Mass Media.
Have you done it?
Ok, you are welcome. First team, ( 9«а» ) you please. (ХАБАР).
Ok. Thanks. It was really interesting.
We continue our battle and do the next task. It will be connected with grammar and vocabulary.
It calls “Word formation”. There is a sheet of paper with some text. You must transform the
words from the capital letter paying attention to the grammar, of course. Take your time and be
4) Guess “Faces of famous people” ( Famous reporter).
1) Opra Gail Winfrey (full name) – American TV host, producer and public figure
2) Tauekel Muslim– famous Kazakhstan TV reporter, TV host of famous programme “Zhana
3) Phil Donahue – American journalist, TV host and director
4) Maya Bekbaeva – Kazakhstan TV show host and journalist. One of his famous TV shows is
5) Anne Applebaum – AmericanEnglish journalist and writer, the author of GULAG and IRON
CURTAIN. Russian sport commentator
Soviet and Russian TV show host and journalist. His famous programmes
6) Saltanat Bekzhigitova Kazakhstan TV show host (KTK)
7) Andrei Malakhov – Russian TV journalist, showman, TV show host of “Let’s talk”
8) Vladislav Listiev –
are: “Взгляд”, «Час пик», «Поле Чудес».
9) Dmitri Guberniev –
10) Ekaterina Andreeva – Russian journalist, actress, leader of information programme “Время”
11 )Аigul Mukey– Kazakhstan journalist, leader of information programme “Khabar”
If your score is 1012 points: You are not in love with your TV set
It is good that you do not watch TV so much. Keep TV watching to a minimum, and enjoy life.
That is the way to go.
If your score is 1320 points:
You are in love with your television set. Your favorite pastime is watching TV shows. Yes, you
are a couch potato. We would suggest switch off the TV set for a while, and explore the
outdoors and socialize more
Our battle came to the end and now I want to suggest you to do some cluster. At the
centre of the paper there will be one word “MASS MEDIA”. You should broaden it adding
words or phrases which you have known form today’s battle. And don’t forget to draw your
mood on it too, you can show it by your smiles or any other pictures.
Meanwhile our jury are counting the scores.