Lesson 4 – Mass Media
Answer the questions
Do many people read newspapers in Britain?
What are the most popular daily newspapers?
What is a tabloid?
What is a broadsheet?
Are they popular?
How many newspapers are there in Britain?
Are there many magazines in Britain?
Do people always buy their newspapers?
Do people listen to the radio?
11. What is BBC?
How many channels has it got?
13. What dose “commercial” mean?
14. What other channels can you name?
15. What is satellite and cable TV?
Exercise 1 - true/false/ I don’t know
The majority of British people read newspapers every day.
Not many people read a paper on Sundays.
The 2 most popular daily newspapers are broadsheets.
Broadsheets are better than tabloids.
The Sun is a tabloid.
Tabloids are quality papers with serious news.
There very many national, international and local newspapers in Britain.
The majority of people usually buy newspapers.
The number of people using the Internet is increasing all the time.
Lots of people still listen to the radio.
politics and business.
Exercise 2 – Match definition and the word
1. It has got a lot of pictures, exciting news and gossips.
2. This is a quality newspaper with serious articles on
3. This newspaper is read only in Britain and not in other
4. Such newspapers are read only in certain towns or
5. This kind of newspaper is published only on
6. This kind of newspaper is published only on
7. Such newspapers are read all over the world.
8. A piece of information given in a newspaper.
9. Not a newspaper.
that can be a lie.
Exercise 3 – Translate into English
Some information that is said about other people
1. Эта статья очень интересная.
2. Я люблю читать серьёзную прессу.
3. Моя бабушка слушает радио каждый день.
4. Журналы очень популярны сегодня.
5. „The Sun“ это еженедельная газетёнка со множеством сплетен. Exercise 4 – Make up a project